WordPress Move 1.1.1

I have updated WordPress Move a week ago to fix a bug some people encountered and make it possible to restore to the former state of the installation after changing the domain name. I want to thank everyone who has reported problems they came across, they are much appreciated.

In addition to the changes I have mentioned above, the function that creates a backup of your database has also received a small but very important modification. As a result of it, database backups created by WordPress Move are a lot smaller now since WordPress Move now discards transient rows while creating a backup of the database. This can reduce the size of your database backup to 10% of its size, so this really is a handy modification especially for people trying to migrate big installations.

This release was actually an unplanned one (just like all bug-fix releases) so as a result, a slightly modified Settings page also became a part of this release which was actually intended for 1.2 as a part of a completely revamped UI. Hopefully, the new UI will be a lot more straightforward and functional than the one stands today. Stay tuned for a revamped version of the plugin in the upcoming weeks. 😉

Changelog for 1.1.1:
  • Transients are no longer included in database backups to reduce the database backup files’ sizes.
  • Backup files created before changing the domain name are now being stored under the old backup directory for a possible future need.
  • Fixed the PHP Catchable Fatal Error some people encountered.
  • Added meta boxes to the settings page.
Advertisements

4 thoughts on “WordPress Move 1.1.1

  1. Hi!
    I tried using the plug in. But when I try to complete the migration on the new server, I get the following error:

    “Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/truhardwarewestlock/truhardwarewestlock.ca/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-move/libs/functions-database-backup.php on line 116”

    The result is that the files have been copied over and extracted. The database has been copied over too, but it is not being extracted/imported into the new database. Therefore there are no posts or pages or anything at all.

    Is there a solution you can recommend?

    Thanks!

    • Hi!

      Looks like your database backup file is corrupted for some reason. It might have happened while transferring it to the new server or right at the beginning while it was being created. Could you please create another backup using Backup Manager and then upload the database backup file manually to the backup/ folder on the new server?

      Apparently I forgot to add an if-check there to prevent a PHP Warning being displayed if unserialize() function fails. Added that for the next version, thanks for pointing that out!

      • Hey Mert!
        Thanks for the quick reply. As suggested, I decided to manually transfer the files. I archived the backup on the old server, and also archived the transferred files on the new server.
        I then created another backup of the files on the old server. Once backed up, I FTP’d into it and transferred all the files to my harddrive. I then FTP’d into my new server and uploaded all the files into the plug-in backup directory. I then proceeded to complete the migration on the new server.
        I did not face the error from before. Everything was a success.
        Yet, none of the pages or the posts got transferred over. I have the template and the plugins transferred over. I even have the database transferred over. But for some reason the old database data is not being copied over into the new servers database.
        Any suggestions? Btw, my database backup file is around 945kb. Does that seem reasonable for a small website with around 200 pages?

        Thanks!

      • Complete Migration method processes backup files in chronological order so if a backup of your new server’s database is present in the backup directory, it will overwrite the database again since it will be processed last.

        I really cannot say anything about the size of your database backup file as it also depends on the amount of text each of 200 pages have.

        Nothing comes into my mind other than what I’ve mentioned above but turning the debug mode on may help us see where the problem is. To do that, you need to replace line 81 in wp-config.php with the following:

        define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: